Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Wikipedia


I have just returned from a short holiday to the Canary Islands where I spend most of the time on the island La Gomera. More than a week living without a laptop and/or Internet connection is not meaning you do not think about computers. One of the things I was thinking about is that I make quite some use of the wikipedia website and have never contributed to it. By making some walks around the island I found some intereseting things and was wondering if it was already added to wikipedia.

After returning from my trip I looked it up and found that it was not on the wikipedia page so I have created a account and added it to the page of La Gomera. My intention is to add more things I come across to wikipedia in the future.


You can find my added content also here below:

The aboriginal inhabitants of La Gomera worshipped their God Orahan in the mountains, as their grand sanctuary, the summit and centre of the island. Many of the natives took refuge in this sacred territory in 1489, when they were facing imminent defeat at the hands of the Spaniards, and it was here that the conquest of La Gomera was completed. Several ceremonial stone constructions have appeared in the archaeological findings. Here they set up sacrificial altar stones or "pyres", stones or slate hollows or cavities where they offered up part of the bounty they received from their God, especially goats and sheep on the sacrificial fires. On La Gomera the God was named Orahan, on La Palma he is known as Abora and on Tenerife and Gran Canaria he was named Arocan.

No comments: